Eeksy-Peeksy

augury doggerel

Monday, January 23, 2006

Permafrost

My weekend has passed grr-manically in dishpanwashing and homeworkbadgering and coldwalkshivering and windchillfactoring and badheadachegrumbling.

But now I have before me an hour and a photograph of skaters on the moat around our city.

It is 1890. A brick and earth wall rises beyond the moat. It is white with snow and is many feet thick.

Safely behind the wall I see the ancient jail, the ancient torture house, the ancient Brotherhood of Saint George.

Outside the city wall on the frozen moat, people glide. A few of the skaters are men or boys in narrow pants but most are women with hems that reach the ice or girls in shorter affairs. They skate alone.

The plane on which the skaters skate, the frozen moat, is buried under highway now. There is no moat and there is no wall on either side of the old stone gate into the city.

4 Comments:

At 2:04 am, Blogger red clay said...

"Opal
Amy Lowell



You are ice and fire,
The touch of you burns my hands like snow.
You are cold and flame.
You are the crimson of amaryllis,
The silver of moon-touched magnolias.
When I am with you,
My heart is a frozen pond
Gleaming with agitated torches "

makes me think of this, and then i can't get it out of my head.

 
At 3:53 am, Blogger Roberta said...

I have been browsing your Blog for a very long time. And always you extract such intricate meanings from simple things.

I am glad you provide this stimulus because it seems like society is evolving into an artless thing that can only extract meaning from combinations of taste, smell, sight, sound, and physical involvement. A society whose only response to a black and white photo is, “Too bad it’s not in color”. A society that fails to understand the joys found in old books or black and white movies or a still picture. So as I read this post, I couldn’t help but wonder.

‘Are you and I the only ones who can still hear children’s laughter and voices around an abandoned farm house and cowbells tinkling in a distant pasture?’

 
At 5:04 pm, Blogger Auntie Sarah said...

I take it the torture house is still there, though.

No really a moat? Even one that was there is really punk rock.

 
At 12:14 am, Blogger eeksypeeksy said...

Thanks, everyone. There really was a moat and they really skated on it. It's all filled in and paved over now, and the giant wall around the city is gone but for a few short stretches of red brick, but the torture house is there and being renovated right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home