Eeksy-Peeksy

augury doggerel

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

To a Moose

I am the sort to eat the apple whole (but the stem) because I don't like to throw away food. And this is because I am gluttonous and greedy and even proud: watch me crunch all the scaly bits that stick in my teeth.

Christ. I bite into an apple ful savourly and hit the core and swallow the unchewables. When I look down again to line up another bite, there is a dark spot and this dark spot is no seed. This spot has legs and stands in one of the furrows left by my teeth. And now that I focus, this spot has eyes that might be blinking at the light where I have torn the roof off.

Does she have family? Did she? I think back on the crunchy bits and guess and fear.

2 Comments:

At 11:27 pm, Blogger elbowlina said...

Beautiful.

I do the same, and I know well that feeling of digesting visitor, or rotten core.

 
At 4:13 am, Blogger Anna said...

I do hope you rescued her. Least you could do after maybe using her children as protein.

My granfer used to tell of a boy drooling, watching another eat an apple.

"Gizza bite."
"Nah."
"Can I have the core?"
"There ain't gonna be no core."

That last became a family saying used for vain requests.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home