Eeksy-Peeksy

augury doggerel

Sunday, January 02, 2005

Resolution

I think my cafe must be closed, but here it is, crowded with people who think otherwise, so I take their word for it, take the last seat. From here, I can watch the street with my back to other customers.

It could be optical, chemical, mathematical. It could be brave, reductive, final.

I cross out articles and adjectives and adverbs, set it in the present tense.

I wonder about my wire monkey, my ancient wire monkey I miss more than anything, my irreparable wire monkey. I will not be my wire monkey. I will be no wire monkey. The Beano. Jute, jam, and journalism. Western Union, wire monkey.

I must try to make it home tonight at a good hour. But first, I cross out articles and adjectives and adverbs, set it in the present tense.

I will would could be not be my wire monkey.

It could be optical, chemical, mathematical. It could be brave, reductive, final. It could be too late not to be my wire monkey. I have the nose. I have the humor. If hairs be wires.

I never dream, and now I dream of pizza, wake up hungry. Dream of mashed potatoes. And gravy. More of gravy.

This street is busy with long legs gone dancing, hard heels. All escape from family gatherings.

Out of nowhere I do the boiled tomato for the others in this place. I am something to see. This is the height of hypocrisy.

A man takes pictures of me. He takes pictures of a woman, but I am in each shot. When they are home, they will see me writing about them.

This is how I write it away. Then scratch out articles and adjectives and adverbs, shift to the present tense.

I go home and the kid holds me as if I have been far away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home