Eeksy-Peeksy

augury doggerel

Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Dear Malcolm,

I would have posted this to Tramspark but you chose (wisely I might add) not to give me access to that. This is an itch I've finally scratched; I hope you don't mind too much. Besides which, there is always the great and mighty delete. I wanted you to have a poem up there, and I guess one of mine isn't quite the same.

e.

Doctor Strangelove

I don't know
but I have seen
actually not

and during the
day when there
is only noise
where then is
only
only

you have a name
that my cousin
stole from you

he wrote it down
and screwed it
up on a piece of
butcher's paper
whilst sharpening
his knives he swallowed
it whole
without chewing
the wax didn't
touch his teeth

and there it was
your name gone
crossed over to
him
like a transfer
a tattoo from a bubble
gum
wrapper.

When I was
five I would wear
mittens and a hat in
summer with
my flannel
shorts

(blue with white
piping)

and it's like
I know every step
I counted them all
walking home
60 per block times
20 blocks
times
20 mins times
a step a second.

The boots I wore
there, slow me down
here.

Your touch
I always imagine
knows its own
strength.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home