Eeksy-Peeksy

augury doggerel

Monday, February 02, 2004

Woods

Thoreau, alone among the trees, wrote this:
...once I went so far as to slaughter a woodchuck which ravaged my bean-field - effect his transmigration, as a Tartar would say - and devour him, partly for experiment's sake; but though it afforded me a momentary enjoyment, notwithstanding a musky flavor, I saw that the longest use would not make that a good practice, however it might seem to have your woodchucks ready dressed by the village butcher.


and this:

As I came home through the woods with my string of fish, trailing my pole, it being now quite dark, I caught a glimpse of a woodchuck stealing across my path, and felt a strange thrill of savage delight, and was strongly tempted to seize and devour him raw; not that I was hungry then, except for that wildness which he represented.


and this:

I am on the alert for the first signs of spring, to hear the chance note of some arriving bird, or the striped squirrel's chirp, for his stores must be now nearly exhausted, or see the woodchuck venture out of his winter quarters.


Venture out, see Thoreau's shadow, and retreat for another six weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home