Eeksy-Peeksy

augury doggerel

Wednesday, June 11, 2003

The Thing

Why Antony loved Cleopatra:

ACT 2, SCENE V. Alexandria. CLEOPATRA's palace.

Enter CLEOPATRA, CHARMIAN, IRAS, and ALEXAS

CLEOPATRA
Give me some music; music, moody food
Of us that trade in love.

Attendants
The music, ho!

Enter MARDIAN

CLEOPATRA
Let it alone; let's to billiards: come, Charmian.

CHARMIAN
My arm is sore; best play with Mardian.

CLEOPATRA
As well a woman with an eunuch play'd
As with a woman. Come, you'll play with me, sir?

MARDIAN
As well as I can, madam.

CLEOPATRA
And when good will is show'd, though't come
too short,
The actor may plead pardon. I'll none now:
Give me mine angle; we'll to the river: there,
My music playing far off, I will betray
Tawny-finn'd fishes; my bended hook shall pierce
Their slimy jaws; and, as I draw them up,
I'll think them every one an Antony,
And say 'Ah, ha! you're caught.'

CHARMIAN
'Twas merry when
You wager'd on your angling; when your diver
Did hang a salt-fish on his hook, which he
With fervency drew up.

CLEOPATRA
That time,--O times!--
I laugh'd him out of patience; and that night
I laugh'd him into patience; and next morn,
Ere the ninth hour, I drunk him to his bed;
Then put my tires and mantles on him, whilst
I wore his sword Philippan.

That's music, billiards, fishing, practical jokes, laughing, drinking him to bed, two female attendants, a eunuch, cross-dressing, and going all night. Not to mention the poop was beaten gold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home