Eeksy-Peeksy

augury doggerel

Monday, July 29, 2002

Fishing
(Notes for a children's story.)

I caught a fish in my net, just a little thing, but she could speak.

"Put me back and I will teach you the words to my song."

I slipped her back into the water and watched her curl around the plants and drink the air of the stream. And when she had caught her breath and composed herself, she came to the surface, where fish kiss the light and the bugs dance like magicians in the sun. She sang to me:

"I love you, cool water on my skin. I love you, dropping rain on my cheek. I love you, cold in winter under ice. I love you, warm from sun to soft smooth sand. If you, my seven seas, blew away with the wind, I would cry you back again."

And she swam away.

The sun went down and the moon looked in my window and I slept without dreaming.

In the morning, I went down to the water, where the fish kiss the light and the bugs dance like magicians in the sun.

...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home