Eeksy-Peeksy

augury doggerel

Monday, December 03, 2001

Bach, Whitman, Stevens, Buzzard

The woman banged out a pretty good piano arrangement of BWV 1052 at home last night. I'm pleased to listen and pleased that she enjoys it so much. The neighbors may have other opinions.

I couldn't sleep, so I got up at two this morning, made a cup of tea, took notes on the things that kept me awake, and read Whitman. "I Sing the Body Electric" and "Twenty-eight young men bathe by the shore" and "There is something in staying close to men and women." On the morning bus to work, though, smoking up through the trees to this outpost of empire, I found a seat under one of the better lights and read Wallace Stevens, a good winter poet.

And the buzzard has been back today, swooping low over green and white.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home